Sunday, June 14, 2009

Daring Cooks: Guotie (Potstickers - Chinese Dumplings)

This month's Daring Cooks challenge was chosen by Jen from use real butter, and she chose to have us make Chinese dumplings from scratch, including the wrappers. Originally I wanted to do a clear dumpling, like har gow or chive dumplings, but for some reason, every time I tried to make the dough, it turned into sludge. I followed the same recipe I have used successfully in the past, but when I added the water, it didn't make a dough, but a watery mess. I still have no idea what went wrong, but after three tries, I decided to make something else.

For the challenge I ended up making a traditional flour wrapper. Unfortunately, I had a filling for a clear wrapper, so the dumplings tasted a little odd, but they still turned out. I have to say, after all of the work, I think the frozen wrappers at the Chinese grocery are worth the money. My wrappers seemed thick (even though you could almost see through them) and tough. I'm not a fan, but it was definitely an interesting experience.

6 comments:

Lisa Michelle said...

I also wanted a clear wrapper for my shrimp dumplings so I could slip a half of shrimp in and it would show through when steamed, so I tried to roll the dough as thin as possible, but it didn't work. Oh well! I think yours came out nice and translucent, more so than mine! Lovely job and they look delicious!

Loie said...

They look good! Well done on completing the challenge :)

Betty said...

ohh! i need to bring you some that my mom made. they are sickkkkk. she makes it all from scratch as well. the dumpling skins and the pork filling. YUMMMMMM

Jen Yu said...

That's so odd about the clear wrapper. I wonder if the starch had somehow gone bad?? Despite the problems, your regular flour wrapper dumplings look great.

Audax said...

How translucent are your dumplings maybe it some other problem then the flour. But still beautiful pleating and bravo and kudos to you very inspiring. Cheers

ice tea: sugar high said...

Great job! They look fantastic